Sunday, December 21, 2008

Universities

Now it's moving on to higher learning
so its education is complete.
And from there we'll get a career,
where we'll spend the better part
of our years.
We'll prepare for our retirement
and it carries us to sleep.
Every victory we're told we've won
is the product of silence and subjegation.
Every boundary we decide to cross,
is crossed in the limits of emphasized loss.
It feels like repitition
from the beginning to the end
of a dictated regiment.
And success is performing these duties,
a little bit better, or with less grasp upon creed.
So you're living alone away from authority
but paying it rent and tuition.
Each dorm you slouch over the couch to throw up.
Is just more evidence how fast we grow up.
And abandon rebellion and heartborn contempt
for injustice, and tyranny, hate and opression.
These are the tools of success in that world,
and I'd rather be poor than described by those words.
The future's so foreign to me,
as the concept of eternity.
But that's really just fine with me.
No, I'm really quite okay with it.
I don't want to know where tomorrow is found
I continue to pray that it's not solid ground.
As strong and solid as they build the machine.
You will be gears,
I will throw my body between.

No comments: